Sunday 10 May 2015

This week I've been...

So I had Cycle 6 of chemo this week (only 6 more to go!!). It was pretty hard work and I felt quite tired and poorly for about 6 days after. My lovely mama came down from Scotland to keep an eye on me, made sure I was fed and watered since hubby was working all weekend.

For those who don't follow my inane tweets or instagram posts, I thought I could do a weekly round up of what I've been up to. Filling my good days with positive things is getting me through this chemo!

Monday felt well enough to go and have pub lunch with the hubby. With him working all weekend and then on nights, it feels like we don't see each other for like a week, so it was nice that we could spend some time together.

Home cooking again! Oven roasted mackerel with crushed baby potatoes and stir fried broccoli. Since being diagnosed with bowel cancer, we've been trying to avoid processed foods and red meat as it's linked with bowel cancer. I really, really miss steak and will probably incorporate bits of red meat back into my diet later, but for now I'm rediscovering my love of fish. My dad has gout arthritis, so I was basically brought up on fish and chicken. But when I headed off to university, fish pretty much dropped off my diet because I saw it as fiddly. This is a recipe out of one of Gordon Ramsay's books and it's stunning, I can get it on the table in about 20 minutes and it only costs around £3 a portion. Fish is sustainable and incredibly cheap compared to meat and even my fussy husband eats this happily.

 I voted! Yes, I'm one of those horrible people who took a selfie outside their polling station. #SorryNotSorry I think it's incredibly important that we vote and take the opportunity to make our voices heard, regardless of political viewpoints. The 18 - 35 age bracket are the least likely to turn out to vote, yet we are the ones who work under the new government, pay taxes etc, you'd be silly not to put your 2 cents in! As a woman, you can't let all the work the suffragettes did go to waste by not exercising your right to vote!


We went to see S Club 7 in Manchester!! It was a lot better than I expected, they did all their greatest hits and a couple of other tunes. I was worried they'd all be rubbish and it would taint my childhood memories but they were definitely very good. Very obviously singing along to pre-recorded backing tracks, but we really enjoyed it. Got me a bit misty eyed and nostalgic in the end ha! Here are some more snaps from the night.




Have a great week everyone! It's chemo time again on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment